Saturday, July 16, 2011

NANGO

Hi All!

I hope that everyone is doing well!  I safely arrived in Kenya.  I absolutely love it here.  This has seriously been the happiest I have been consistently for a long time.  I am excited to see what will come the rest of the trip!

The journey was LONG!!! It was 16 hours to Dubai and I barely slept.  I don't know why.  I guess I was really nervous.  But we were traveling in a group of 6.  We were all exploring the airport and we literally LOST someone.  She did not board the plane and stayed in Dubai.  Her bag was confiscated because it was left unattended.  It took too long to sort it out and we all got separated.  We decided to wait for her in Nairobi.  The problem was...she was the only one who had been to Africa before.  But we survived!  It was another 6 hours to Nairobi.  We got a hostel for the night.  Brittany Benavides and I shared.  It was a nice welcoming to Africa.  I have had no expectations since staying at that hostel.  The next morning we took a 8 1/2 bus ride to Migori.  Then we took a RIDICULOUS car ride to Matoso. There were 7 of us in a small car -- with all of our gear.  There were two drivers just in case "something happened."  I soon realized that it was if the car flipped or a tire popped.  The roads were so awful.

But when we arrived, the children were waiting for us and gave us the BEST greeting ever!  It made me so happy!!!

I cant update too much right now because I am running out of my allotted time.  But I will give you some highlights

The first few days, we have been adjusting to being here, having 1/4 of a bucket for showers, and using buckets and holes for the bathroom. 

I have already helped birth a cow -- well, I saw it...and I got the mama water.  So ...that counts, right?!  Anyway, it was amazing.

We also took a boat across Lake Victoria to Moguma to look for hippos and monkeys.  We only saw a monkey.  But we went rock climbing.  Probably not the safest thing ever, but I figured if the small African children can do it -- then I most definitely can! 

I am bringing home a child named Matilda.  She is the cutest orphan I have ever met in my life.

We had a big dance/party at Victoria "See" Lodge.  There are 4 teammates with birthdays in the next two weeks.  So we had a wild night out.  We had Tusker beers (the Kenyan beer) and danced with locals.  It was so much fun!


It has been such a great experience.  I am so excited to see what will come!!

Love to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment