Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Hi All!

It has been a great few days! The weather has been more “mild.” I only put it in quotes because mild in Kenya is not exactly what you expect. But, it is nice to not be in a state of persistent sweat. The mornings and nights (after 1 am) are reasonably cold. I enjoy every minute of the cold though.

Monday was amazing. We went to Ratieny Primary School for a Q&A session with the students. It was supposed to be just Grades 5-8. Within 15 minutes, the class was flooded with students – more students than I could imagine being present in one room.

At first the students were very shy. It was amazing when they warmed up to us. They had some really thought-provoking questions. Some of the most notable questions were the ones regarding HIV/AIDS. There is a general lack of knowledge across the board regarding HIV and AIDS. I was shocked by some of the questions they asked. But, like I have said before, it is hard to explain without opposing the local religious ideology. Also, they were asking how could they expect to have a bright future for themselves, if no one else believes in them. One girl asked to be my pen pal to stay in contact because she has no one to support her here and wants to know someone has faith in her. I will gladly correspond with this girl.

We had our first computer class on Monday. It went really well! I mean nothing by this, but they learned way faster than I expected. It bears no difference that they are from Kenya. I am just used to my father’s basic understanding (or lack there of) of computers …and he has had more than 4 computers in his house for over 10 years. Brittany and I have our work cut out for us. But, I know that it is going to be great!

Today, Brittany and I were invited to go to the Ongoro Primary School closing ceremony. Our Piki Piki ride was very interesting. The “road” we went on was carved from water run off. So you can imagine how sturdy we felt ;) But we survived! We were then the impromptu commencement speakers and we were giving the top students their awards. It was hilarious and such an experience!

Love to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment