Monday, July 25, 2011

Hi All!

I am slowly figuring out different ways to post blogs more frequently. My friend Sara Williams brought her computer and is letting me use it! :) Ero Kamano, Sara!

After being here for over two weeks, my senses have been on overload. Now that all of the excitement has sort of died and we are in more of a routine, I have become more aware of the problems plaguing West Kadem. Everything seems to be rooted in lack of education. We are a stone throw away from Lake Victoria, which is amazing for the sunrises and sunsets. However, it is a huge deterrent for children staying in school. (I am very biased because that is my “major” for SCHAP while on the trip)

There is a chance to make a lot of money at a young age on the lake. It is hard to highlight the importance of education. Because of the “get rich quick” allure, there is a high rate of adult literacy. I am actively trying to get together a literacy program for adults, which would help people get more secure jobs through the government.

Also, one of the most devastating affects of the fishing community is the rampant spread of HIV. There are three stages to the fishing market in Matoso: the actual fishing, the transportation from the lake to the cars, and the trip to the nearest big city, Migori, to sell. There are so many women available and eager to make money off the transportation to the cars that there is an exchange of sex to ensure fish. Then the women with recently caught fish have to have a similar deal with the car drivers to ensure that their fish goes to the market before it gets bad. But, there are not very many cars and not much space. So, the spreading of HIV is a vicious cycle, especially considering that the majority of these women have to work because their husbands have died of AIDS related diseases.

AIDS has wiped out an entire generation here in Matoso. My friend Miranda Adler is working to provide orphan solutions while we are on this trip. She said it is estimated that a majority of household has about 3 orphans. I am pretty sure that nearly half of the children that attend SCHAP Community School are orphans too.

It is so sad to see all of the school children in their uniforms from all of the neighboring schools walking to the orphanage. There are about 50 of them walking together.

I just wish there was more we could do. It is particularly frustrating because contracting HIV is “God’s Will.” It is always a sticky situation when religion is involved. One of our group members went to church last weekend with one of the locals and apparently the pastor was advising people to not get tested for HIV because if it is God’s will, then they should not fight it. Many people in the area were tested last week for free, which I thought was extremely positive and proactive. We were encouraging anyone and everyone to go. However, all of my enthusiasm and optimism quickly subsided when I heard that once men found out they were positive, they slept with 10 people to ensure that they would not die alone. There are a lot of prostitutes desperate enough for money to have sex without any protection. I completely broke down when I heard that the organization responsible for HIV tests left the dirty, used syringes down by the lake. Sara, Miranda, Brittany, and I went to go check it out. We didn’t see anything at first. Then we saw a child playing with a syringe – squirting lake water at his friend. We immediately spoke to people in charge and the elder said “that is too bad for the kids.” I went back to my tent and cried so hard.

I have been loving my experience here in Matoso. I wholeheartedly believe in the goodness of SCHAP and our undertakings. But, I also get very discouraged and sad. I need to stop focusing on the negative aspects of the community. I need to fully accept that I am one person doing the very best I can in the time that I have. That is all I can do. (Even though I wish I could do more …)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Vikkee-it sounds as if you are having an extraordinary experience full of challenges and yet also of connection and heart-an important lesson may be that we cant fix the problem we are confronted with and yet we can still contribute by showing we care-and that we can join in our common humanity. Sounds as if you have quite a fan club-rightly so!! Love SienaDune

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are such a beautiful person, I am so honored to be friends with you and life long partners (heh). I just got internet at home finally and I am catching up on all your posts, I seriously love you so much. hang in there and cannot wait to see you and hear all about this trip.

    ReplyDelete